We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.

-John Hope Franklin

Friday, October 21, 2011

The Good, The Bad, & The Cuenca Hospital

 


Our first week in Cuenca has definitely been a roller coaster ride. The idea of living with a family I had never met before made me so nervous. So many thoughts were going through my head. I quickly learned that there was no reason for me to be so nervous. My host family is amazing! They are so nice and take very good care of me. Even though it is so hard for us to communicate with each other, we make it all work out. They are so patient. I am so thankful to have such a loving host family because it is very hard for me to be so far away from home. We are taking classes at a Spanish school, Amauta. The class is really a lot of fun, and I am beginning to learn the language. It is getting easier to communicate with my host family. I was able to experience many cultural differences this week, as well.

While many of the differences where minor, there was one instance where I was in complete shock. Earlier this week, one of my friends on the trip became extremely sick and needed to be taken to the hospital. She asked that I go with her, and of course, I did. The second our taxi pulled up to the hospital, I realized that it was nothing like an American hospital. It was not even clear where we enter the building to go to the emergency room. There was no front desk or emergency “area”. When we walked in they laid her down in a bed and gave her an IV. This was all without asking her name, her allergies, or any of her other information. I was stunned at how no one bothered asking. They had administered a type of morphine, an IV, and a few tests all before getting her personal information. We were there an hour and a half before they asked for a name. Hospitals in America require all personal & insurance information before any treatment, and they quickly give the patient a wristband.  I was also surprised with their method for storing their medicines. The drugs were in an unlocked, glass cabinet for everyone to see. It would have been so easy for someone to steal any type of drug. In addition, when in an American emergency room, the patient typically has the same emergency room doctor the whole time. This is done so that the doctor can closely watch the progress of their patients. Over the course of the time we were in the emergency room, four different doctors had taken care of her. Yes, I understand that we were in a foreign country, and I realize that they may not be as clean or as strict as hospitals in America. Getting all of the patient’s information, their allergies to medicines, their health history, keeping medication locked, and being consistent in viewing and recording the patient’s progress during their visit is vital. Forgetting to do one of those protocols or choosing not to could be very harmful to the patient. Imagine the consequences if a nurse administered a drug that the patient was allergic to because no one asked and noted it. Fortunately, my friend left the hospital feeling much better and has returned to normal.

 As I continue my pre-medical education, I think about what kind of doctor I want to be and how I want to make sure my patients are as comfortable as possible. My trip to an Ecuadorian emergency room was definitely an eye-opening experience. As I continue my ten-week journey through Ecuador, I know I am going to have many more of these experiences. Adios!


The sunset as we drove to Cuenca!

No comments:

Post a Comment