We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.

-John Hope Franklin

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Little People of Cuenca

 
The second week in Cuenca has definitely been another interesting one.  I am getting more acquainted with my surroundings, and I am learning how to navigate my way around a little better. Communication with my family has also become easier. We are able to know each other a little better. While spending another week in Cuenca, I was able to notice much more about life in Ecuador. My first day in Quito, four weeks ago, I instantly noticed the differences of driving in Ecuador. The people in this country barely stay within the lines. It is more of a free for all on the roads. It is rare that one will see a speed limit sign while walking around the city. I have noticed so many differences in this city, especially in this last week.

I have noticed a big difference between the children in Ecuador and those in America. My host sister has a two year old and they have no car seat or stroller for her. When we travel in the car, she just sits on someone’s lap. With the ways that people drive, I am baffled by the fact that there is no type of restriction in vehicles for young children or babies. In the United States when a woman has a newborn and is leaving the hospital, the car and car seat are checked to make sure that it meets all of the safety requirements. Even my brother who is six years old sits in a booster seat in the car because he does not weigh enough.  Throughout my walks across the city, I have also seen young children just sitting in the passenger seat by themselves…UNBELIEVABLE! While walking through the city, I have noticed that I have not seen many strollers; all of the women carry their babies or strap them on their back. It is rare in America that you see parents with a baby tied on their back with a scarf. In America, it is typical that the parents will carry the baby in their car seat or push them in a stroller. I am stunned by the young children walking up and down the streets in this city. I cannot believe that their parents are not with them. Children as young as five are just hopping off the bus and walking blocks to their home. I do not even feel safe walking home in this country because I am not comfortable with my knowledge of navigating from destination to destination.

Do I think that the way children are raised in America is better than the way they are in Ecuador? Not at all, but I do think there are issues that could be debated. This is just another difference I see every day in this country that makes my mind run wild. Adios!

An example of the driving in Ecuador!



The "STOP" sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment