We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.

-John Hope Franklin

Sunday, October 23, 2011

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit


Communicating with my family is getting easier by the day. I am so thankful to be living with such nice and caring people. They remind me so much of my actual family in the United States. I really enjoy spending time with my host family, and today I was able to attend a Catholic mass with them. I was excited about this because I was raised Roman Catholic. I was very interested to see how similar a Catholic mass is in Ecuador compared to ones in the United States.  I really enjoyed being there. I liked that even though it was in Spanish, I was able to understand what was going on and what was being said because I know the rituals of a Catholic mass. The main difference that I noticed was that there were pews and people around three sides of the altar. In most catholic churches, all of those in attendance sit in front of the altar. However, I think that this was just to allow more people to have room. However, it did cause the procession for communion to be a little more chaotic. I also noticed, at this particular church, they did not close the doors during the mass. Therefore, the loud noises from the outside could be heard the whole time. I do have to admit that it was a little distracting. Along with many other things in the country of Ecuador, mass did not start promptly at eleven; it started about ten minutes late. The “Ecuadorian time” is just fascinating to me. This country is definitely much more relaxed than the United States when it comes to the start of activities. Another difference I found astounding was that there was food being sold outside of the church. This is never seen at Catholic churches in America. There were people buying meals! It was fascinating. In America, many families make a large breakfast before church or have brunch afterwards, but in Ecuador it is sold right there!

Cuenca is known for its beautiful churches; there are 52 churches in this city. Those that live in the city talk about how they could visit a different church every week of the year! During our first week here, I have been able to see only a handful of the beautiful churches.

My experience today was amazing! I loved being at a Catholic mass in another country. It was fascinating and beautiful. However, there was also a downside to being at mass today. My heart is breaking for my host mother and her family. I found out yesterday that the mother of my host mother is dying. She has severe Alzheimer’s and cannot even walk on her own. It is so sad to see my host mother upset. She has been crying so much, and I wish that there was more I could do to help her through this. I cannot imagine how she must feel. I am so fortunate to have two healthy parents. I was glad to be at church today. I was able to be closer with God to pray for my host mother, her mother, and their family. I am going to continue to pray for her all day, every day. I hope that those of you reading this pray for her too. The language barrier between us makes it hard for me because I feel like I cannot help her the way I could if we could understand each other. Tomorrow I am going to the market to buy her flowers, so that I can show her how much I care. She has taken such great care of me this week; it is the least I can do. I look forward to attending church with her next Sunday, hopefully it is a different one! J

Here are some pictures of the churches we have seen throughout the week!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment