We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.

-John Hope Franklin

Friday, November 25, 2011

Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

 

            The fourth Thursday in November of every year is unimportant to so many people in the world; however, to Americans it is one of the most important days of the year. Spending Thanksgiving in Ecuador this year was an experience I will never forget. Many of the Ecuadorians I talked to had no idea what Thanksgiving was, nor did they know much history on the celebration of the holiday. This makes sense because clearly the pilgrims did not discover Ecuador. Waking up Thanksgiving morning in Ecuador, felt like any other weekday in Cuenca.  I ate breakfast that my host mom prepared, hailed a taxi, and went to Spanish class for four hours. It was such a weird feeling walking into Amauta, saying Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on the trip without being able to experience what goes along with the holiday: the coldness in the air, the smell of turkey cooking, and the laughter of family and friends. All day, in the back of my mind, I was thinking how it was not a normal day for my family and friends in the United States, except I was not there. While they were preparing delicious food and watching parades and football on television, I was on a completely different continent in another hemisphere. We, as a group, did go out to eat at a restaurant that served us a delicious meal, with the main course being turkey! I had a wonderful time and we were all able to spend Thanksgiving as a new, big, crazy family.

            I am happy I was able to spend Thanksgiving in another country. It was definitely a learning experience, and one that I am thankful for. I was able to share the history of Thanksgiving with my host family and my teacher. Explaining to them all of the things we do and traditions we have on this holiday helped me to realize, even more, how much I love my country and  this holiday. Being in Ecuador since October 2nd has opened my eyes to the world and has helped me to think differently. I have a different appreciation for my country, my education, and most importantly, my family. Thanksgiving did not help me to appreciate my life in America anymore than I appreciated it last week or last month. My time in Ecuador has helped me to realize how important family is to me. I would not trade my family for the world. They have helped me to become who I am.

            Ecuador has taught me so many lessons and changed my life. I am so excited to return home and spend Christmas with my family. I am so excited to give them the authentic, Ecuadorian gifts that I purchased for them throughout my time in Ecuador. Thanksgiving in Ecuador was the best Thanksgiving because it helped to realize the best gift I have received: family.




My family and I at the airport!

Group photo at the top of Volcan Sierra Negra!

My girls!


No comments:

Post a Comment