We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.

-John Hope Franklin

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Las Islas Galapagos!

 
Traveling to the Galapagos was an experience of a lifetime! I am so fortunate to have been able to spend so much time there. I am determined to travel there at another time in my life so that I can experience the fascinating beauty all over again. Even though we were technically still in Ecuador, it felt as if we had traveled to a completely different side of the planet. Stepping off the airplane warmed me with such a refreshing feeling; the warm weather, the smell of seawater, and the view of the sand and ocean was breathtaking. The water was the most crystal-clear blue I have ever seen in my entire life and the sand was so white and soft. I feel so lucky to have seen so many beautiful, endemic animals while snorkeling and walking around the islands. If it were not for all of the hard work I put into getting to Ecuador, I never would have been able to experience something so beautiful.

While in the Galapagos, I noticed some cultural differences between the islands and cities on the mainland. The biggest difference was the number of tourists. It was nice to blend in with everyone else again. Throughout our time in Cuenca, we have become the subjects of many catcalls and stares. It is a very uncomfortable feeling being the one to stand out in a crowd, or the “gringo”. While there are some people on the mainland that are used to tourists, many still stare.  However, that was not the case in the Galapagos. We were able to blend in with all of the other tourists. Everywhere we went we were able to find others who spoke English. It was shocking, but it makes sense because the Galapagos is definitely a hotspot for travelers and scientists from all over the world.

Another difference that I noticed was the level of safety compared to the mainland cities. In the cities, it is unsafe to walk alone at night and taxis are definitely necessary. We were not harassed once while walking around the islands at any time of the day or night. The people we passed from the Galapagos did not seem to pay any attention to us at all, even though it is clear we are Americans. They are used to always seeing tourists. It is just so different being the one that does not blend in. I feel it is more different when I am at home and see a foreigner or someone who does not blend in with the majority of the population. I definitely do not stare at them while I am passing or slow my car down while I am driving by. I hope that they do not feel uncomfortable around me. Most importantly, I hope that they feel safe while they are visiting the United States.

If there were one thing I could make different, it would be to find some way to make myself feel safer while travelling throughout the city.  Yet, comfort level is definitely not supposed to be the same while traveling to a foreign country. In the future, I am certainly going to be more attentive to foreigners I see in the United States and do my best to make them feel comfortable, the same way that people in the Galapagos made me feel safer. I hope other Americans have the same mindset as me when it comes to interacting with people that are from other parts of the world. Not only were the animals and sights of the Galapagos amazing, so were the people. I wish for everyone to get the chance to experience the beautiful Galapagos. I promise you will fall in love. Adios!



The Giant Tortoise and I!

Never would guess it was the middle of November!

Alex & the Blue Footed Booby!

A Galapagos Sea Lion with her baby!

The beach was so beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment