We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.

-John Hope Franklin

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Who Lives in a Pineapple Under the Sea.....Bob Esponja??

         
             Throughout all of our traveling in Ecuador, I have been able to see many indigenous people. They have maintained their traditional values for hundreds of years. One of the most prominent values they have kept is their style of clothing. The clothing is unique, and I really like it. The men’s dress includes a poncho (which is normally blue in color), a felt hat, and calf-length pants. Women’s dress is made up of a white shirt that is embroidered, a blue skirt, a shawl, and some type of layered necklace. The necklaces are typically gold beads. In addition, the long braid is an important part of Ecuadorian culture. I love that the indigenous people of Ecuador have stayed true to their beliefs and their ways of life, specifically their way of dressing. While the indigenous dress very similar to their ancestors, many Ecuadorians have transitioned to an American style of clothing.
Barney & I in Otavalo!
            Spending time in cities, such as Cuenca and Quito,
showed me how Americanized this country was becoming. I was shocked by the amount of American brands I saw walking down the streets. American Eagle and Aeropostale are EVERYWHERE! I thought the cliché of wearing those brands was only in America. I was mistakenly incorrect. In a mall in Cuenca, there is a store named EaglePostale! In Ecuador, the people just combine both brands of clothing and sell them together. Victoria’s Secret’s lotions, perfumes, and lip-glosses are also everywhere. Clothes and items from Victoria’s Secret, American Eagle, and Aeropostale are quite pricey in the United States. However, they are even more expensive in Ecuador! Wearing and acquiring these items in Ecuador is a sign of wealth. Not only are these names brands all over the world, but they are also demonstrative of wealth. It is fascinating how a simple brand name can have such an impact on a country.
             While I was with my host family, I noticed another example of American brand names. There are three little girls under the age of 10 in my host family, and I play with them almost every night. We like to play Memory, and put puzzles together. However, all of the puzzles we put together are American cartoons: Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, The Backyardigans, and Spongebob. I am familiar with all of these cartoons, and I have seen all of them with my little brother and sister at home. However, here is the funny part: the only one that was translated to Spanish was Spongebob-Bob Esponga. I thought it was hilarious that it was the only one that was translated to Spanish, and that the same cartoons that are popular in Ecuador are the same as the ones in America, just like the clothing! I was always under the impression that being in another country would introduce me to new cartoons, new games, and new styles of clothing. While there were some new styles, games, etc. that I saw, I was not expecting it to be as similar as American pop culture. It was a little disappointing to see another culture so engulfed in American name brands. Just another example of how rapidly America is squeezing their way into cultures all over the world.
Bob Esponga!


An indigenous woman



No comments:

Post a Comment